Ahead of the start of the 202223 season, the Premier League on Thursday said that it will introduce enhanced safety measures to prevent crowd misbehaviour.
The clubs unanimously agreed that the visiting teams will provide additional stewards for away matches. The decision comes after Aston Villa’s goalkeeper Robin Olsen was attacked while fans of the reigning champions Manchester City celebrated the title win by invading the pitch last month.
Moreover, the Everton fans had invaded the pitch after Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s late winner against Crystal Palace, which secured their spot in the top flight.
Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira was also involved in an altercation with a fan when he was walking towards the dressing room. This prompted the English Football Association to launch an investigation.
The Premier League further said it is hopeful of addressing the issue of missiles and pyrotechnics that disrupted matches last season.
“It is vital that everyone feels safe at a match,” Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said.
“Supporters must be reminded it is illegal to enter the pitch at any time… this area is unequivocally for football and under no circumstance should players, managers, match officials or staff fear for their safety – just as fans should remain protected in the stands.
“In addition, we have seen an increase in the use of pyrotechnics and missiles, both of which are not only a criminal offence, but can cause serious injury.”